Sunday, May 13, 2012

Thoughts on Mothering

My Mother's Day gift to myself is grace. Grace to be the best mother I can without the guilt of not mothering the same way you do or the same way my neighbor does or the same way my mom did. My mom is the ultimate Mom. She might tell you she made mistakes and needs grace too but I don't remember them. In my mind she was perfect, she was the mother I needed and still is. If my children remember me meeting their needs, if they grow up knowing I'll be there for them and I have and will always love them I will be a success too. There is a wall hanging on the wall in my children's bedroom. It says:

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my babies and babies don't keep."

It was embroidered by my mom and hung in my sister's room or maybe mine, I'm not sure. But it comforts me that my mom identified with the thought that time spent with children is time well spent. My house isn't as clean as I would like, I don't cook dinner at home as often as I would like, the laundry piles up more than I want it to but the free moments that I spend with my children are worth more than a dust free house and a homemade meal. At least that is what I think. 

So Happy Mother's Day Mom, you're the best! and Happy Mother's Day to me, I'll keep on doing my best.

P.S.
Lydia stood up this morning without anything to hang onto!


No comments:

Post a Comment