Saturday, February 25, 2012

Milestones

It is hard to believe that Lydia is 6 months old already. At the same time she is such an important part of my life that I can't imagine being without her. I was holding her today and thinking that she is a little piece of heaven that I am privileged to care for (I feel just as strongly about Renee but this is about Lydia). Lydia has smiles that never end. She loves to be played with and her giggles and smiles come easily. She is joy.

It means so much to me to see her sitting and working hard to crawl. I take very little for granted with her. I look forward to her six month check up because this will be the first appointment that I can take her to the doctor and when he asks how she is doing I will be able to answer without reservation, "She is doing wonderful!" It feels good not to worry. It feels good to see her taking in the world around her and reaching out for toys or objects and bring them to her mouth. We are using fewer bibs and burp cloths these days and that is good too.


There have been surprises in motherhood, between Renee and Lydia I have learned many things and I'm sure there is much more to be learned. Some learnings of less consequence than others but for all my confidence before Renee came I quickly realized you don't know how to be a mother until you are one. I've learned that how long it takes apple juice to become vinegar in a sippy cup, that after a child is born laundry doesn't increase from baby clothes but from all the adult clothes with spit up on them. I've learned that rules have a purpose and that structure can be good. I've learned the value of a nap. I've learned the joy and pride of watching your child bring joy to others. I've learned the pain of hearing a doctor say "I'm sorry" while discussing the health of your child. I've learned that tomorrow I will learn again.



It is such a cliche but it really is true that children grow up fast. I gave Renee her first haircut today. It was time to get the hair out of her eyes and since she won't leave a clip in her hair I finally gave in and cut bangs. I'm not ready for her to look too grown up but even with bangs she is still my little girl.





1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised at the joy Lydia (and Renee) bring. But I am sure glad that you cut Renee's bangs, cuz if you hadn't, I was going to!!!

    ReplyDelete